The Limey (1999) - Film Review


Having recently been let out of prison, Wilson (Terence Stamp) is sent a newspaper clipping about the death of his daughter. He decides it merits further investigation and goes to LA. Here he meets the man who sent him the article, Eduardo Roel (Luis Guzman).

They soon link her death to the man she had been seeing, one Terry Valentine (Peter Fonda); a music producer. Wilson pays him a visit, having obtained his address from some of his associates. Valentine’s head of security, Jim Avery (Barry Newman), susses Wilson out and sends some hit men after him.


Meanwhile, Valentine heads for his beach house up the coast. Wilson had befriended his daughters’ acting coach, Elaine (Lesley Ann Warren) and she also finds herself in danger. Can he neutralise the threat and find peace before it’s too late?

I wasn’t too sure about the way this one was cut together at first but the style soon began to settle down. It was almost like a scene was made up of several takes, all filmed on one camera and put together with nothing to break them up.


In the end I came to quite like it; something different to the normal fayre. The performances were all excellent, particularly Terence Stamp; again a performance that grew on me. I also very much liked the performance of Luis Guzman, I always feel I’m in safe hands when I see him in the cast.

I guess this is one of those that grows on you the longer you watch; a revenge thriller with a bit of a difference, well worth a look.

Comments

Popular Posts